Try this Spinach, Tangerine and Fennel Salad with Pomegranate Vinaigrette made with POM Wonderful Pomegranate or POM POMS fresh pomegranate arils. It’s great served with your barbecue this summer or as a light summer lunch!Print
- ¼ cup arils from 1 large POM Wonderful Pomegranate or POM POMS fresh pomegranate arils
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- Juice from 2–3 large POM Wonderful Pomegranates*, or 1 cup POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice
- 3 tangerines
- cup granulated sugar (optional)
- 4–5 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1 cup thinly sliced fennel
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- Fennel ferns
- Score 1 fresh pomegranate and place in a bowl of water.
- Break open the pomegranate under water to free the arils (seed sacs).
- The arils will sink to the bottom of the bowl and the membrane will float to the top.
- Sieve and put the arils in a separate bowl.
- Reserve cup of the arils from fruit and set aside.
- (Refrigerate or freeze remaining arils for another use.)
- Prepare fresh pomegranate juice.*
- Peel and section tangerines.
- Place tangerines in a bowl with 1 cup pomegranate juice and sugar if desired.
- Allow to marinate 30 to 45 minutes.
- Drain tangerines; reserve ⅓ cup of the marinade for vinaigrette.
- Mix ⅓ cup reserved pomegranate marinade with the other vinaigrette ingredients and shake together in a tightly covered container.
- Divide spinach, fennel and red onion on 4 salad plates.
- Divide tangerine slices on salad and dress with 1 to 2 tablespoons of vinaigrette per serving.
- Garnish with fennel ferns.
* For 1 cup of juice, cut 2 to 3 large POM Wonderful Pomegranates in half and juice them with a citrus reamer or juicer. Pour the mixture through a cheesecloth-lined strainer or sieve. Set the juice aside.
Thanks, POM Wonderful!