What do you get when you combine two classic desserts? Our Ultimate Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe is your favorite ice cream sandwiched between soft homemade caramel chocolate chip cookies. You can’t go wrong with this summer dessert!
For the ice cream sandwich:
- 1 container of Breyers Rich Coffee Ice Cream (or use your favorite flavor!)
- 1 cup quality melting milk chocolate to dip the sandwiches in
For the caramel chocolate chip cookies:
- 1 cup softened unsalted butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large or jumbo eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2.5 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk chocolate chunks
- 2/3 cup baking caramel bits
- Combine the wet cookie ingredients until creamed and smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet until the batter is thick but still easily mixed and wet looking.
- Fold in the chocolate bits and caramel bits until evenly distributed.
- Place parchment paper on baking sheets and add large round and flattened balls of batter that are evenly spaced. (You’ll want larger cookies than usual for the sandwiches).
- Bake at 350 degrees until the cookies are golden at the edges and still slightly underdone looking at the center. The actual cook time will depend on your oven and size of your cookie batter balls, but plan for roughly 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove from the try and place directly on a clean, surface until fully cooled.
- Only once the cookies have fully cooled (don’t cheat – it’ll ruin everything!), place a generous amount of your favorite ice cream (we used Breyers Coffee) on one cookie, filling to the edges and then place a second cookie on top.
- Do this for all of the cookies and then immediately place them in the freezer.
- Allow the sandwiches to freeze together solid like this for at least a couple hours.
- When they are fully frozen and you are ready to dip the cookies, melt the chocolate per package instructions. TIP: Try to keep the chocolate temperature as low as possible by using a double broiler technique to help prevent the ice cream from melting.
- Quickly dip the cookies one at a time into the chocolate and then return to the tray to refreeze for at least another 30 minutes before serving.
- Category: Dessert
Keywords: ice cream cookie sandwich, ice cream, cookies