CaliforniaDisneyTravel

5 Things You Didn’t Know About Walt Disney Studios

From the time the Walt Disney Company started in 1923 until 1937, it moved offices across many locations in California as the growing number of employees called for more space. Finally, in 1937 Walt decided it was time to expand and take up a more permanent residence which led him to making a deposit on 51 acres of land in Burbank. It’s on these 51 acres that the Walt Disney Studios still reside today.

Over the last nearly 80 years the offices have expanded, studios have have been added and we saw the passing of one of the greatest men in entertainment. During that time Walt Disney Studios has managed to maintain some air of mystery, intentional or otherwise. It’s one of only two Studios in California that does not offer studio tours to the public, which is why it makes it all the mores special that I have been able to visit the campus numerous times on press events.

5 Things You Didn’t Know About Walt Disney Studios

1. While “Mary Poppins” was filmed ENTIRELY on the lot (mostly in Studio A), you’ll also get a great visual tour of the Burbank studio lot in the newly released “Saving Mr. Banks” where you will often see Walt Disney peering down at P.L. Travers from his office window.

Top Corner window is Walt's Office

Top Corner window is Walt’s Office

Although currently in use by another executive, Walt’s Office remains as much as it was when he occupied the space – including upside down books on the shelves, just as he left them.

walt disney studios tour (1)

2.  The fascia of the seven dwarfs holding up the roof of the The Michael D. Eisner Building is an homage to Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. The success of that movie funded the purchase of the Burbank lot.

3.  Walt left no detail out when planning the layout of the Walt Disney Studios campus around the animation process itself with the Animation Building in the center of it all. There are even underground tunnels connecting the building so artists could carry work without fear of damage from rain. Many of the classic Disney animated features including “Mary Poppins” (50 years ago!), “Dumbo”, “Peter Pan”, “Cinderella” and “Lady & the Tramp” were created and drawn in the Animation building.

walt disney studios animation building

4.  Directly across from the Animation building is the theatre used for internal screenings of their films. You will recognize this as the place they realize Walt has not invited Travers to the premiere of Mary Poppins! Last week the world premiere of Saving Mr. Banks was held at this same theater.

walt disney studios theater

5. The new Feature Animation Building, across the street from the current Studio, is where Walt planed to build a place called the Mickey Mouse Park. There were to be lifelike statues of Mickey and Donald, and guests could take pictures with their favorite characters and enjoy a train ride. Unfortunately, Walt’s ideas continued to grow he realized the space wasn’t large enough. Which led him to acquire 200 acres of orange groves in Anaheim, California. Those orange groves became the site of Disneyland.

walt disney studios new animation building

BONUS! This is a cool side by side photo outside of the old Animation Building with the cast and filmmakers from both Mary Poppins and Saving Mr. Banks taken this week at the premiere on the top and the #DisneyFrozenEvent bloggers last month during their tour of the lot on the bottom.

1472044_10104316524676764_1503476945_n

Be sure to check out our Sunshine Awards for Saving Mr Banks here.

-19

Saving Mr. Banks
In select theaters December 13th
Everywhere December 20th
Buy tickets to Saving Mr. Banks on Fandango

Thank you to Disney for hosting me at the #DisneyFrozenPress event and providing a tour of the Walt Disney Studios Burbank campus. All opinions remain my own.

Jeana Shandraw

Jeana Shandraw

Rarely caught without a camera, Jeana is an adventurous traveler with a passion for people, cultures and food that has led her to 38 countries in 5 years. When she's not using her powers for social good, she enjoys photography, cooking and building LEGOs with her son. On occasion, you may also find her crocheting cute things to hide in her husband's underwear drawer.

Grandma’s Cheesy Potato Casserole Recipe

And the Sunshine Award Goes to… #SavingMrBanks

1. December 15, 2013 at 7:57 am — Reply

That is so cool you were able to take the tour! I can’t wait to see Saving Mr. Banks! Mary Poppins is one of my all time favorites and I love me some Tom Hanks!

2. December 14, 2013 at 4:17 pm — Reply

Love all of these fun facts! Visiting Walt Disney Studios is by far one of my best experiences ever. I loved watching Saving Mr. Banks and seeing the studio.

3. December 14, 2013 at 1:38 pm — Reply

The underground tunnels sound so cool! He thought of everything :)

4. December 13, 2013 at 9:14 pm — Reply

I have fascinated by Walt Disney too. I loved seeing the museum in San Francisco this year and would LOVE to see the studio one day.

5. December 13, 2013 at 3:11 pm — Reply

I didn’t know about the tunnels, but that sounds like something Walt would do :) I was so excited to get a chance to visit Walt Disney Studios a few weeks ago – we didn’t have time for much of a tour but I did get a picture of the dwarfs and I love it!

6. katherine
    December 13, 2013 at 5:05 am — Reply

This is really interesting. I don’t much about Disney

7. December 13, 2013 at 2:40 am — Reply

Very cool information. And such rich history there!

8. December 12, 2013 at 9:44 pm — Reply

I enjoyed learning about the Walt Disney Studios and all of their rich history. I’m interested in seeing Saving Mr. Banks when it comes out on DVD.

9. December 12, 2013 at 7:27 pm — Reply

I’ve always been fascinated by Walt Disney. I remember reading an autobiography on him when I was about 12. He was a dreamer and he had the drive to make it all happen. Amazing man!

10. December 12, 2013 at 6:57 pm — Reply

I had no idea of the history…and who would have thought to put tunnels in to protect everything! What a smart man.

11. December 12, 2013 at 6:27 pm — Reply

How interesting! I really do not know any of the history behind Walt Disney’s start. I cannot wait to see Saving Mr. Banks, my husband and I were just talking about it after seeing the preview the other day, it looks really good!

12. December 12, 2013 at 5:41 pm — Reply

How fun, I would love to see this one day! I’m also super excited about seeing Saving Mr. Banks!

13. December 12, 2013 at 5:07 pm — Reply

I love the seven dwarfs holding up the roof! Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was my favorite growing up.

14. December 12, 2013 at 11:05 am — Reply

FASCINATING.
    Id love love love to go as well.
    #someday

15. December 12, 2013 at 10:20 am — Reply

I love this type of info re Disney, cause I love all things Disney! I was there 2 weeks before you, taking that same picture of the dwarfs. I was at the museum in SF in April and never knew that Snow White was the first ever animated movie!
    thanks,
    Mitch

16. December 12, 2013 at 9:18 am — Reply

It would be such an experience to tour the studios. I had no clue about any of these facts. The underground tunnels are really interesting to learn about – and they have come in handy several times I’m sure.

17. December 12, 2013 at 8:37 am — Reply

Underground tunnels! Too cool :)

18. December 12, 2013 at 7:29 am — Reply

i love seeing all of the fun facts about the walt disney studios!

19. December 12, 2013 at 7:16 am — Reply

I would love to be able to take a tour of the Walt Disney Studios Burbank campus! Snow White is one of my favorites and I adore the dwarves! I cannot wait for Saving Mr. Banks to come out!